The Keyword Downloads module estimates the downloads an app earns from all the keywords it ranks for. With Keyword Download estimates, you can better understand the impact of your ASO efforts, help inform your user acquisition campaigns, and discover which terms are driving your competition's downloads from Search.
Keyword Downloads can answer questions like:
- How many of Disney+'s downloads come from users searching for
star wars, and how many come from users searching for
- Is it better for my app to rank at #1 for many low traffic keywords or #3 for one popular keyword?
- How many new users did my recent ASO campaign earn?
For users with only an App Intelligence Enterprise subscription, this module will show each keyword's share of downloads from Search. For users who also have a Store Intelligence subscription, it also indicates download estimate absolutes.
How to use Keyword Downloads
You can select specific keywords you'd like to measure. All keywords are selected by default, including keywords that you've added to your tracked keyword lists and keywords you are not yet tracking but that are driving downloads.
You can control which keywords are populated on the graph using the Keywords dropdown. You may also select by Keyword Tab to look at specific sets of keywords if you've set up custom tabs. Learn more about Keyword Tabs.
In addition to showing you how many downloads your tracked keywords are driving, Keyword Downloads suggests keywords you are not tracking yet that are driving downloads. Display or Hide untracked keywords with the Untracked Keywords toggle.
To start tracking untracked keywords:
- Ensure that the Untracked Keywords toggle is set to Display. This will show all of your untracked keywords in gray.
- Click Track Keywords to display checkboxes beside all untracked keywords.
- Select All or select the specific keywords you'd like to start tracking.
- Click Track Selected to add them to your list of tracked keywords.
These newly tracked keywords will now appear across other App Store Optimization modules, such as Keyword Rankings and Keyword Overview.
Keyword Download estimates are generated using signals from across Sensor Tower's unique data set.
- We begin with our very accurate download estimates from Store Intelligence.
- Then, we model an app's share of downloads from Search by Category.
- We adjust the share of downloads from Search based on other data, like the app's visibility in search and advertising activity.
- Then, we break out the downloads from search into each keyword that the app ranks for.
- Based on the keyword's traffic and the app's rank for that keyword, we allocate a percentage of the downloads from search to each keyword.
- As each keyword's traffic score shifts, and the app's rank for that keyword changes, we adjust the estimates over time.
- Estimates go back to January 1, 2020, and are available as recently as three days ago.
- Keyword Downloads are available in Weekly and Monthly date granularities.
- 84 countries are currently supported.