In the Keyword Rankings feature, you can track both daily keyword rankings for any app or multiple keywords across multiple apps. Track these keywords across multiple countries and view key metrics such as their traffic score, difficulty score, density, and downloads.
Track keywords for an app
To view Keyword Rankings for any app, select an app from the App Banner. Learn more about managing apps.
When you've selected a new app, a pop-up will appear asking you to select keywords to track. We typically recommend clicking the Track All Terms as this will pull in keywords that Sensor Tower is currently capturing for this app.
You may also track any keywords manually by selecting Add My Own Search Terms.
Chart by App
When charting by app, you can view keyword ranking for one keyword across multiple apps. This allows you to easily compare your keyword ranking against your competitors to see exactly how you stack up from keyword to keyword.
You can select the keyword ranking history being charted by selecting it from the list of keywords below the chart. If the keyword you wish to chart your selected apps by is not listed, you can Add New Keyword.
When charting by app, the right side panel will default to the top 10 apps that rank for the specific keyword on the keyword ranking chart. You can jump to Keyword Research for the selected keyword by clicking the icon beside the section title.
Chart by Keyword
When charting by keyword you can view up to 20 keywords across one app. This will allow you to get a larger picture of how your app is ranking and performing across multiple keywords for deeper analysis into the trends behind your organic search.
By default, 10 keywords will be charted; these will be the top 10 keywords by iPhone or Google Play Store ranking, depending on the app version selected. You can easily select the top 20 with the Select Top 20 button. Those keywords being charted in the graph are indicated in blue.
When charting by keyword, the right side panel will suggest additional keywords (ranked by Traffic Score) based on the keywords selected on the ranking chart.
If you want to group lists of keywords together — by, say, theme, campaign, or competitor — you can use Tabs. Use the + plus button next to the All Keywords tab to create a new tab and use the Manage Tabs dropdown to easily edit, delete and switch to your tabs.
Batch delete tracked keywords
If you want to batch-remove keywords from a tab or stop tracking them entirely, you can use Edit Mode.
- Click Edit Keywords to engage Edit Mode.
- Select the keywords you want to remove with checkboxes or the Select All button.
- Remove keywords with the Delete Selected button.
- When you're done, click Done Editing to disable Edit Mode.
Keyword metric definitions
- Traffic Score (out of 10) determines how often this specific keyword is searched within the app store. A higher traffic score means more people are searching this term, and more people will see the apps ranking for this keyword.
- Difficulty Score (out of 10) determines how hard it is for an app to be ranked first for this keyword. A lower difficulty score means it will be easier to rank in the top search results when this keyword is searched. Apps with a higher number of downloads may find it easier to go after keywords with a higher difficulty score.
- Keyword Density is a measurement of how frequently a keyword is used in an app's storefront page. It counts the number of occurrences of the keyword in the app's Title, Description, and either Subtitle (App Store only) or Short Description (Play Store only), and then divides that number by the total number of terms. For example, if a keyword appears three times in a hundred-word storefront, it has a Density of 3%. Words like "to" and "or" are discarded.
- Keyword Downloads is an estimate of how many downloads come from each keyword. Estimates are for a one-day period, two days ago.