As we mentioned before, ASO is an ongoing process and you have to monitor it frequently to maximize its benefits. This lesson will cover a sample workflow you can use every time to improve your keyword optimization results. Many of these concepts will be a review from the previous lessons, but we want to be sure that you understand how all the pieces fit together while performing ASO.
When You Should Optimize
You should look for keyword improvements if:
- You are not ranking in the top 10 for all of your keywords.
- Your previous keyword changes did not increase your downloads.
A common question that we get is: How long should I monitor my keywords before I change them?
Before we answer that question, there are two things that you have to know. First, your keyword rankings will usually take effect immediately. Second, your app will generally rank in a range for each keyword.
If you are ranking #190 for a keyword, it is not likely that it will range from #190 to #10. You probably want to replace that keyword right away. However, if your initial rank is #18, you may want to watch it for a little while because it could range to the Top 10.
So the answer to the question is: You should monitor your keywords for as long as you feel comfortable with the range. If the range puts you into the top 10 regularly, then you should keep the keyword.
Here is an example of some keywords from a live keyword list. Let’s say that the keyword “copilot” consistently ranks between #35 and #20. If this was your app, you may want replace that keyword because it is the only keyword that is not in the top 10.
However, if there are other keywords on your list that have a lower rank than "copilot", you should replace those keywords first.
Here is the keyword optimization process:
- Research and select initial keywords.
- Track keyword rankings with an ASO tool, such as Sensor Tower's Keyword Ranking module.
- Review and evaluate your keyword rankings at least once a week.
- Brainstorm and research replacement keywords for your keywords that are not in the Top 10.
- Implement keyword changes.
- Go back to #2 and repeat until all keywords are ranking in the top 10.
Here is an example workflow using Sensor Tower's platform for keyword optimization.
- Research your initial keywords with our Keyword Research tool
- Track keyword rankings with Keyword Ranking module.
- Review and evaluate your keyword rankings at least once a week off of Sensor Tower's platform.
- Find replacement keywords with our Keyword Suggestion tool or use your competitor's keywords for keyword ideas through our Keyword Spy tool.
- Submit your keyword changes.
- Go back to #2 and begin tracking your new keywords and repeat the process until your keywords are fully optimized.
The keyword optimization process is simple once you know how to track, evaluate, and find new keywords. After you have evaluated your keywords for enough time to understand the ranking range, remove the keywords that are not working and replace them with new keywords that fit your criteria. Always keep Relevancy, Traffic, and Difficulty in mind when selecting new keywords.
In our next lesson, we are going to shift to the visual aspects of ASO and teach you how to optimize your screenshots, icon, and video. Converting visitors to users is an important part of increasing your organic growth and these graphic elements have a significant role in conversion.